Wednesday, March 25, 2009

On Worship Leading


Being a worship leader is very challenging. It entails more than just being able to sing or play an instrument. It’s not just about leading a band and performing on stage. I believe that the talent in music is indispensable and it is important to excel in whatever you do but it should not always be the focus of any worship leader/team because leading God's people in worship is a sacred calling. Churches should develop worship leaders and team members who are not just musically gifted but also possess depth of character and a solid spiritual foundation.

I have been a part of the worship team for more than a decade and I think that the most difficult part of being in the ministry is to live a daily life of worship. I believe that it is impossible to be an effective worshiper if you do not display the glory of God in all aspects of life. We must turn our backs from the deeds of the flesh and make our passions and desires parallel with God’s plan. In a world full of distractions, it is hard to stay focused and worship leaders need to devote their time in activities that would make them grow spiritually, make them passionate in serving God, help them increase their creativity and originality and help them keep a joyful and faithful heart. I have experienced great testing and failure in life and I’ve learned so many lessons through those experiences. To have an intimate and growing relationship with the Lord everyday is what would make me stay on the right track. Once I turn my eyes away from Him, I know I would be in trouble. I’m just so grateful that I have an awesome God who saved me from the wrath of sin and gave me a new beginning and He brought me to the right path.

I am presently handling the worship team of our church and the team consists of young people. I honestly find it very challenging to train them and encourage them to hone their skills because they need to balance their time for God, family, school, friends and ministry. I desire to be a leader that would naturally motivate them to excel in everything they do. My prayer is that God would help me become a living example of servant leadership. I know I still have to work on my character and continue to seek God’s guidance so that I’ll be the person He wants me to be. I also pray that our worship ministry would grow and eventually reach its full potential. I want our team to make a difference in our families, school, workplace, church and in the community.

No comments: